ALFED holds discussions on 'Brexit' with BEIS
ALFED President Giles Ashmead, Board members Simon MacVicker and Steve Hedar, plus representatives from Arconic and Amari Metals and ALFED chief executive Tom Jones met yesterday with Richard Harrington MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at BEIS and senior civil servants at BEIS.
These discussions were extremely constructive, focusing on the needs of the UK aluminium sector and the potential impact on it of various Brexit scenarios.
The 60 minute discussions covered
- Free flow of materials and product without customs barriers
- Seamless supply chains
- effects of tariffs on importing and exporting raw and finished materials
- Delays of investment caused by Brexit uncertainties
- Energy costs and supply
- Skills training and education
- Strategic manufacturing growth
This was a positive meeting at crucial time, as it was called to inform discussion at today’s ‘War Cabinet’ meeting on Brexit. The ALFED team was able to put across to Government the requirements of the UK aluminium industry in its negotiations with the EU 27.